Thursday, May 31, 2012

The time I almost met (and hung out with) Gene Simmons

0 comments

Andrew Jacobs here,

This year marks my 35th anniversary as a resident of the state of California.  I was born in New York (Long Island specifically) on August 12, 1970 and my family and I moved to Southern California when I was 6 years old.  Needless to say, while I did retain a good chunk of the mean spiritedness of the East coast (a trait which has increased DRASTICALLY as I've gotten older), I am and always will be a Southern California boy.

Enough about me for now though.

One of the perks of living in Southern California is the odds of running into celebrities in public are pretty good for the most part.  And, of course, if you live in or even near the Los Angeles/Hollywood areas, you can safely bet large amounts of money that you'll run into somebody famous for something at least a few times a year.  And, of course, if you frequent bars or night clubs on any kind of a regular basis in the Los Angeles/Hollywood areas... I think you see where I'm going with this.

Sometime around Halloween in 1994, I had the choice of going to see two shows happening on the same night at the same time - my good friend's band or a KISS tribute band (I don't remember which one).  Although I was heavily into my KISS addiction at this point and I was still very much riding the first year euphoria that accompanies being a diehard fan of anything, that old "friends love friends' bands" saying carries a helluva lot of weight with me and I ultimately chose going to see my good friend's band over the KISS tribute band.

When I came home that night, there was a message on my answering machine from a guy I knew who went to see the KISS tribute band.  I'll paraphrase it to the best of my recollection:

"Hey Andrew, I just got back from the [KISS tribute band name] show.  Gene Simmons was there and I got to hang out and talk with him for a good part of the night!  It was so awesome!  You shoulda come, man!"

Yes, "friends love friends' bands".  But THIS friend loves Gene Simmons more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Clairvo