Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Episode 24 - Bizarro Covers

1 comments

After a quick week off, we're back and we're spinning more covers but things are a little different this time. We're not going with tried and true covers this time. This time, we're going into the Bizarro World with some of the strangest rock and metal covers that still kick ass.

These are tunes that were not necessarily originally intended for the rock and metal world but some visionary artists decided to show that, as Autograph, prophesied back in the 1980's, things go better with rock!

We start the show with some talk about our recent discussion with Jan Kuehnemund of Vixen and the response we received as well as the swell new look of our official website and news on our Facebook fan page. We had to whore ourselves out a little.

Moving on, we get into the music with our lone straight ahead rock cover. We had to go with this track because we couldn't squeeze it in on the Under Covers episode and it just plain kicks ass (regardless of band members' political views).

We're not going to be spoilers and give away the tunes we're playing. What fun would that be?

So, kick back with a cold bevereage, crank the show, and stay frosty!

Direct Download

1 comment:

RJhog (Classic Rock Bottom) said...

I love stuff like this. I think it's really cool how a band can take a non-hard rock or metal song and rock it up. It even works well in reverse sometimes. I think you guys made some great choices. My favorites were:



Strange Ways (Kiss) by Megadeth - Although I don't think this is particularly bizzaro. Megadeth does a great cover. This really brings out the drumming and the underlying riff of that song. It's a way underrated song in the Kiss catalog.



Fire And Rain (James Taylor) by Badlands - Badlands have quite a few fans at Classic Rock Bottom. I don't have either album, but that probably needs to change. Gillen sounded almost like Axl Rose at the very beginning of the song.



I'm Easy (The Commodores) by Faith No More - I happen to be a fan of the original, but the vocalist really does a fantastic job on this, just like you guys mentioned.



I can't remember the name of the song, but it was the Anthrax cover of the Joe Jackson song. I only know JJ's hits, but this was probably the best cover you played. Like you guys said, the bass line is incredible. I need some Anthrax and Joe Jackson for my collection.



And finally, the Poison cover of Timberlake's Sexy Back. I have no problem with a rock band remaking a song like this. However, you should check out Rivethead's cover of the same song. It's better, in my humble opinion of course. I looked on youtube to see if I could find it with no luck. But maybe, if I still have it, I'll link a player and see if you can take a listen.



Here's a few that I think would fit, along with the Rivethead cover:



1. Rusty Cage (Soundgarden) by Johnny Cash

2. Hells Bells (AC/DC) by Gregorian (click the link to listen)

3. Careless Whisper (George Michael) by Seether



I know I had some more, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Anyway, great show.

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Clairvo